Spicy Chicken Sandwiches with Cilantro Lime Mayo
(From Cooking Light)
Ingredients for the Cilantro Lime Mayo:
- 1/4 Reduced Fat Mayonnaise (I used olive oil mayo)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
Ingredients for Chicken:
- 1/4 cup egg substitute (I used egg whites only)
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce (I used Tabasco)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
(I actually used chicken tenderloins and had chicken strip sandwiches)
- Baked tortilla chips (about 6)
I needed more than 6 chips because I had so many chicken strips.. I ended up using about 15
- 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Kaiser rolls
- tomato slices
- onion slices
- For the mayo, simply mix all 4 ingredients together.
- For the chicken, combine the egg substitute, hot sauce, oregano, and salt into a ziplock bag (I used a tupperware container instead). If you’re using chicken breasts, cut in half to form 4 cutlets. If you’re using chicken tenderloins, just cut off any extra fat. Add chicken to the tupperware or ziplock bag and seal. Let marinate for at least 2 hours (up to 8), and turn bag occassionally.
- Use a food processor and chop up tortilla chips. Put them in a shallow dish.
- After allowing chicken to marinate, remove chicken and allow excess to drip off. Coat the chicken completely in tortilla chips. Set aside. Repeat for each piece of chicken.
- Heat a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil to pan and swirl around to cover the entire pan. Add chicken to the pan and cook for about 3 minutes on each side. Spread cilantro lime mayo on each side of the rolls and add toppings.