I use the summer to experiment with new recipes. During the school year, I like to have recipes that I know will work and experiment on the weekends when I have more time to clean up. I really do enjoy cooking, but I absolutely detest cleaning up afterwards.
This week, I decided to spice up (see what I did there?) our weekly meal plan with Cajun Chicken Pasta from SkinnyTaste. I’ve had this pinned for… years, and just got around to trying it.
- 8 ounces uncooked linguine
- 1 pound chicken breast strips
- 1-2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sized red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium sized yellow pepper, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup low fat, sodium free chicken broth
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 tablespoon light cream cheese
- fresh cracked pepper
- 2 scallions, chopped
- salt to taste
- Smart Balance cooking spray
- Prep all your vegetables. In a small blender (I used my food processor), make a slurry by combining the milk, flour, and cream cheese. Set aside. Season chicken generously with Cajun seasoning, garlic powder, and salt.
- Prepare pasta in salted water per package instructions.
- Heat a heavy, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray and add half the chicken to the skillet. Saute 5-6 minutes or until done, set aside on a plate and repeat with the remaining chicken. Set aside.
- Add olive oil to the skillet and lower to medium. Add bell peppers, onions, and garlic to skillet. Saute 3-4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and tomatoes and saute 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add chicken broth and pour in slurry stirring about 2 minutes.
- Return chicken to skillet; adjust salt and Cajun seasoning to taste, cook another minute or two until hot, then add linguine; toss well to coat. Top with chopped scallions and enjoy!
Let me know what y’all think!
Katie Elizabeth says
This looks sooo good! I'm the total opposite.. I do most of my cooking in the winter (when it's too cold to leave the house ha!) and in the summer, I get pretty lazy. But I think I need to try this one!
Life as a Mrs. says
This recipe looks amazing!! I recently tried the Chicken Cajun Pasta at Cheesecake Factory, and it was delicious!!! If you love Cajun-inspired dishes and a Cheesecake Factory near you, try the dish 🙂
Lisa Loves John says
This looks amazing! …and I'm with ya on the cleaning up thing. I have to clean up my kitchen before I eat my dinner otherwise I just won't want to clean up after!