Now that winter is officially here, I decided to brainstorm some of the things I’d like to do this winter. In years past, winter was the season I looked forward to the least, with the exception of the holiday season. But now, I have grown to appreciate the opportunities the winter provides and to enjoy the excuse to practice a little more self-care, especially if it means curling up under blankets and binge watching my favorite shows on Netflix (I’m talking about you, House of Cards). So, here are 18 things you should do this winter.
- Enjoy the last of the holidays with family and friends.
- Take a walk out in the fresh snow. If you don’t have snow, even a bundled up walk around a local lake to take in the scenes of winter.
- Try a new hot drink from your favorite coffee shop.
- Make a bubble bath extra pampering and go all out – use your best products, light some candles, pour a glass of wine, and listen to the Ella Fitzgerald station on Pandora. Check out this post about the best self-care products.
- Enjoy a hot breakfast in cozy pajamas while watching the snow fall or the fire if you don’t have snow.
- Go to bed early and sleep in late.
- Indulge in lavish beauty routines, and use this time to perfect that eye makeup technique (check out Lindsey or Hannah for tips)
- Cook hearty meals from scratch.
- Take advantage of the quiet days indoors by reading a new book.
- Have a movie marathon or host a movie night with friends.
- Stock your closet with cozy sweaters and comfy leggings.
- Give yourself 10 minutes to stop and actually enjoy an old fashion mug of hot chocolate.
- Build a little bonfire and invite some friends over to enjoy s’mores.
- Take a day trip to explore a new day trip near the coast. The North Carolina coast is quite serene and beautiful at this time of year.
- Learn a new hobby. I personally learned how to do calligraphy a few years ago during the winter.
- Perfect your chili recipe. Here are a few favorites to try as well: turkey chili, buffalo chicken chili, roasted red pepper chili.
- Visit a museum–the North Carolina Museum of History is getting a particularly interesting exhibit in January!
- Try a new restaurant. Bundle up in your favorite sweater and boots, and head out to try a new restaurant or spot in your city. Raleigh people, make it Junction West!
What are your favorite things to do in the winter? You’ll find me catching up on magazine reading, drinking a lot of coffee, and staying in cozy clothes over my winter break which starts… today!
This post is sponsored by Clegg’s Pest Control. Make sure your home is ready for the winter season with a free inspection and a great offer on general pest control services.