The past three weeks have been a mix of emotions while working from home. One of my favorite parts of my job is that it looks different every day and given the nature of it, I have different sites I am at throughout the week. It’s been quite a while since I worked out of the same place for an extended amount of time, it’s even more bizarre at times that it’s my home. I keep thinking of how grateful I am that David updated our home office last summer and created such a lovely work space for me. Making sure to incorporate some work from home essentials that I absolutely love.
With so many working from home during the COVID-19 pandemic, I wanted to share several items that have been helpful for working from home. Looking for other ways we have adjusted during this time? Here is a post from the first week of the quarantine where I discuss adjusting to our new normal and one from my very favorite human, Bethany, about how to deal with stress during this time how to deal with stress during this time.
8 Work From Home Essentials I’m Loving
- Kygo Life Noise Cancelling Headphones: Since David is also working from home, there are times where we’re both in virtual meetings in separate spaces. Our gift to the world is that we are both incredibly loud, so one of our new routines is texting each other to keep the noise down. Since getting these, it’s been helpful for me to tune him out.
- Quay Blue Light Glasses: I already suffered from chronic dry eye, so my eye doctor recommended me wearing blue light glasses on days I was going to have heavy screen time. Now that my days consist of what feels like only screen time, I’ve been grateful for having a pair. These eye drops are a life saver, too.
- Mug Warmer: I added this to my desk a few months ago and it has come in so handy during these times. I have always enjoyed a couple of cups of coffee in the morning, but now I’ve transitioned to one in the afternoon, too.
- Cube Timer: One of the important components for me is keeping a boundary between work and home life. This is not a strong point for me during normal times, so it has been really important for David and me to maintain this. Setting a timer has been really helpful for me to take breaks during the work day because I was falling into some bad habits (forgetting lunch, working hours straight without moving from my desk, etc.).
- Weekly Desk Pad: This desk pad has been particularly helpful for making sure I’m drinking enough water throughout the day + for taking those stretch breaks. I have always thrived when establishing a list of things to do for the day and prioritizing those items.
- Lap Desk: While I enjoy working at the desk in our home office, I also have found it helpful to move near a window to work. This lap desk has been really helpful. Now that the pollen is dying down a bit, I’ll be taking this to work out on the front porch, too.
- Target Paper Tray: It has been really critical to keep my filing system in place during this time, but I also realized that I did not have a space for filing important papers on my desk. This paper tray has been really helpful and will be useful once we transition back to normal working conditions.
- Staedtler Pen Set: I very much love color coding my notes, to do lists, and any other items that I jot down. While I utilize Google Keep to organize my thoughts, I still love handwriting things to help retain them, but to also process in general. These pens are my go-tos for my planners, journals, etc. and they have been a bright spot (literally!) during this whole thing.
Shop the Post
What are your go-to work from home essentials? Let me know in a comment below!