When I had originally planned this post, it was prior to COVID-19 and before the impact that would have on daily life. Regardless, it’s still sweltering here and good time to try something new while still social distancing and wearing your mask. Whether you’re looking to hang at home or get out of the house, here are 10 socially distant fun things to do in the summer when you’re bored!
10 Socially Distant Fun Things to Do in the Summer When You’re Bored
- Try a New Flavor of Ice Cream: Whether you’re making it at home or you’ve got a local place that changes up their flavors, try a new flavor of ice cream. Triangle friends, I love that Two Roosters changes their monthly flavor options (seriously eyeing Peanut Butter Cookie, Earl Grey Lemon Cookie Dough and Key Lime Ginger Snap) and Sunni Sky’s Ice Cream has over 120 flavors. Another great option that can get you out of the house and experience something new is Howling Cow Ice Cream on NC State University’s agriculture campus.
- Make Frosé: I mean, what’s not to love about frosé? It’s a slushy with rosé wine. Make a batch for your next backyard picnic. Find a recipe here.
- Turn Your Sprinkler On: No swimming pool? No problem. Turn your sprinkler on and run through it like you used to do when you were a kid!
- Take a Drive: Take a drive out of town. There are so many hidden gems within an hour of the Triangle that are worth checking out. You can always get take out from a restaurant and have a picnic. Personal favorites include Pittsboro, Hillsborough, Tarboro, and Greensboro.
- Go on a Virtual Museum Tour: Travel and Leisure shared a list of 12 museums that will take you on a virtual tour right from your couch. It’s the perfect way to stay cool, quarantined, and still get to experience something new.
- Read Something New: Find a new book to read. Here is a list of anti-racist books and some of my favorite beach reads.
- Find a Local Watering Hole: Find a local spot to cool off. Some favorite spots in the Triangle include Jordan Lake, Eno River, and Saxapahaw.
- Grow Indoor Plants: Work on that green thumb and nurture an indoor plant baby (or two)! Here are some of my favorites and I love getting my indoor plants from The Zen Succulent.
- Stream a Concert: Check with some of your favorite artists, or ask a friend for a recommendation. Since we had to cancel some of our plans this summer for concerts, we’ve loved catching online versions of some of our favorite artists, while discovering new ones, too!
- Make Aloe Ice Cubes: If you get too much fun in the sun, these aloe ice cubes are a game changer. I know because I burnt the tops of my feet pretty bad one afternoon and these were such a nice relief!
How are you beating the summertime blues? What would you say are some fun things to do in the summer? Let me know in a comment below!