Hey y’all! I’m so excited to share one of my favorite recipes today. I’ve mentioned before that DG is a pretty picky eater, so I’m constantly on the hunt for recipes that I will like but that I can con get him to eat. When I stumbled across this recipe last year, I knew we’d both be pleased.
- 1 jar (24 ounces) roasted red peppers
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound lean ground beef (I used turkey)
- 1 can sodium reduced black beans
- 1 (10 ounce) can of diced tomatoes with green chiles (do not drain)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans no salt added tomato sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- TOPPERS: avocado, cheese, sour cream, plain yogurt
*I’ve done this two different ways, I’ve done steps 1 & 2 and then thrown everything into the crockpot for 4 hours. And I’ve done it the way listed below. The way I have listed below is our favorite.
1. Heat a large pot over medium heat. Either spray with cooking spray or drizzle with olive oil, and place in red peppers through garlic powder in the pot. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the onion is tender.
2. Add in the ground beef or turkey. Let brown for 6 minutes until it starts to crumble.
3. Stir in remaining ingreidents and allow to simmer for 15 minutes to 2 hours. The longer it simmers, the more the flavors come out.
4. Pour into bowls, add your desired toppings, and enjoy!
What’s your favorite cold weather recipe?
amanda @ as the wine cork turns says
this look so amazing and something that would keep you warm!
Ashley @ A Cute Angle says
This sounds sooooo good.
~Ashley @ A Cute Angle