Last year, I wrote a letter to my 20 year old self about tanning in the tanning bed and the repercussions I’ve experienced as a result of that decision. While I swore off the tanning bed years ago, I started working on a self tanning routine to maintain a healthy glow and for building a base tan for the summer months. Here are the tips and products I use for the best self tanning routine.
The Best Self Tanning Routine for the Perfect Tan at Home
- L’Occitane Cleansing & Softening Almond Shower Oil: I swapped using shave gel for this shower oil to keep my legs hydrated. I’ve found the key to an even tan is to make sure that my skin is properly hydrated, so this is one of the ways I help do that while shaving.
- Herbivore Coco Rose Coconut Oil Body Polish: I exfoliate any time before using self tanning so I can ensure an even self tan. While this product is an exfoliant, the coconut oil makes it less abrasive and leaves my skin so soft.
- Isle of Paradise Self-Tanning Drops: These self-tanning drops are my absolute favorite self-tanning product. I take two drops of the product in two pumps of lotion, mix it together, and then apply evenly. If you want a darker tan, you can use more drops to build the tan, but I generally stick with two each time. I do this routine a couple of times a week, sometimes less in cooler months, and more often in warmer months. Isle of Paradise makes a light, medium, and dark version, and I use the medium. The medium formula is designed to reduce redness and calm the skin while maintaining a glow, plus it’s vegan and cruelty free.
- Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Body Lotion: I use this lotion with the Isle of Paradise self-tanning drops.
- L’Oreal Paris Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Towelettes 6 ct: I start gravitating more towards these self-tanning towelettes for the summer for a bit of a darker tan. These are easy for traveling and easy to use. I use the wipes and then follow up with the body lotion to even out any spots where I might have missed or applied too much.