Recipe adapted from Closet Cooking
It has been pretty darn cold in NC for the past couple of weeks, so I have been making a lot of soup recipes. This one was DG’s favorite.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- red pepper flakes to taste
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth (I used chicken broth)
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 ounces of cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 10 oz spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream or Greek yogurt
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped (optional)
- Melt the butter and add the onion. Cook until tender.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, and cook until fragrant. This shoul take about a minute.
- Add the flour and cook for another minute.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, and tortellini, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the tortellini is tender. About 10 minutes.
- Add the parmesan, let it melt, add the spinach, let it wilt, add the cream, season with salt & pepper to taste, remove from heat before adding the basil.