A few years ago, David & I co-wrote this posted in honor of David’s 34th birthday as a way for y’all to get to learn a bit more about him. I always love reading these types of posts, so I thought y’all would enjoy getting to know more about him since he does frequent this space. Here are 34 things that you didn’t know about David. Over the past few years, he has contributed more to this space whether it is through taking photos or helping highlight our trip, so I enjoyed writing this one together.
34 Things You Didn’t Know About David
17 Things About Me
- I played three varsity sports in High School.
- My beer of choice is Trophy Wife from Trophy Brewing Company in Raleigh.
- I enjoy watching birds and learning about the different types of birds.
- I was the head coach for a high school women’s soccer team that won the 2015 NCHSAA 4A State Championship.
- I enjoy outdoor activities like camping and fishing.
- If I had to do it all over again as a child I would have chose to play football or baseball.
- I won a donut eating contest (fastest to eat a dozen) senior year in High School.
- My first cat’s name was Yankee.
- My dream vacation is to go to Germany.
- I was in attendance for The Greatest Comeback in NFL History (Oilers vs Bills).
- I have very little skill when it comes to playing golf, but do enjoy going to Top Golf.
- My favorite numbers are 21 and 78 after my favorite basketball player Kevin Garnett and football player Bruce Smith.
- I’ve been interviewed twice on the radio.
- My favorite movie genres are Comedies and Holiday.
- I am a big Dave Matthews Band fan.
- I once worked for a minor league baseball team.
- My first CD was Will Smith Big Willie Style.
17 Things About David from My Perspective
- When I met David, he was wearing a monogram Adidas jacket, light washed jeans, and tennis shoes with a faux hawk.
- David’s favorite foods are pepperoni pizza and chicken tenders with French fries.
- His guilty pleasure is watching WWE wrestling, and his favorite wrestler is the Rock.
- David is a die-hard Buffalo Bills and New York Yankees fan.
- He is super organized and neat.
- Any home improvements in our home have been because of him. I think up the idea, but he definitely executes it and makes it better than I ever dreamt. He built our mudroom bench here, created the reclaimed barn wood wall of my dreams here, and how he added built-ins and new flooring to our home office here.
- David is a great painter and is a high school visual arts teacher.
- He loves to do yard work and is constantly googling (and pinning) things to improve our yard.
- Our garden and flowers flourished this year because he woke up every morning to water them before it got too hot.
- David started cooking dinner for me in the evenings because of my grad school schedule and he has done a great job with the menu. Check out some of his favorite recipes here and here.
- The first time I ever took David to Poole’s Diner, we met Ashley Christensen, and she sent us out pimiento cheese as an appetizer. It was the first time that he ever had pimiento cheese and also the first time he didn’t use condiments with dinner. It’s the only place I’ve ever taken him to dinner that he hasn’t said “it would have been better if…”
- While I am an Eastern North Carolina BBQ snob, David loves western NC BBQ. This can create some tension between us.
- One of the first gifts I ever gave David was a pair of dark wash jeans.
- The first time I went to Buffalo with David, he took me to where Theodore Roosevelt was inaugurated, Fort Niagara, and the Maid of the Mist. It was the first time he had done most of those things in his hometown.
- David loves going to the zoo. When we went to New Orleans, his favorite part of the trip was visiting the zoo. Also, he took the photos for this blog post and helped me write most of it.
- I try to get him to do my blog photography, which usually ends up as a disaster because I hate having my photo taken (whoops) and sometimes he forgets to check some small details.
- When we first got Winston, David had a list of rules to keep him on his best behavior, including not getting on the couch or sleeping in the bed with us. I got home from work one day when Win was still a little dude, and David had let him on the couch. Then, when I went to Chicago one weekend, David let Winston sleep on the bed with him. When we adopted Gizmo, there was no hope in training him not to get on the furniture.
Happy Birthday, David! I hope it’s your best one yet!