One of my favorite reasons for my birthday being so close to the new year is the reflection that is linked up with the two. I always enjoy reflecting on my previous goals and my previous aspirations and how those have evolved on the years. Three years ago, when I turned 30, I spent some time reflecting on what I learned in my 20s while setting goals for my 30s. Today, I thought I’d share 32 powerful lessons I learned in the past year for my annual birthday reflections post.
Birthday Reflections: 32 Powerful Lessons I Learned in the Past Year
- Sequins are not just for the New Year.
- Discover your style and own it. Don’t conform to the trends unless you want to.
- Find what sets your soul on fire.
- It’s okay to fall out of love with things that used to bring you joy.
- Use a Vitamin C serum every morning.
- Read one book a month whether it is for pleasure or to learn something new.
- Sweat or stretch every day. Even it’s just for 10 minutes.
- You don’t need to be more organized. You need less stuff.
- Health insurance is a blessing and not to be taken for granted.
- Saying no is addicting. Saying no without an explanation is exhilarating.
- Schedule your workouts just like you do doctor’s appointments and meetings to hold yourself accountable.
- Having a standing date night with your significant other makes the work week go by faster.
- Make time for your friends. It’s an important investment.
- It’s not weak to ask for help.
- Advocate for yourself, whether it’s at work, at the doctor’s office, or in a relationship.
- Turning off your phone for an hour a day is a wonderful way to practice self care.
- Setting a cleaning schedule each day alleviates spending all day cleaning on a weekend.
- Boundaries are a good thing. A really good thing.
- Pay attention to the news. Know what and who is advocating on your behalf to make sure that’s who you want advocating on your behalf. If it’s not, call them/email them/text them. And vote. Always vote.
- Journaling every day is a good way to reflect on all the positivity in your life.
- Buy a good pair of jeans that can be dressed up or down.
- If a friend asks you to take a trip with them, always say yes.
- Shop your closet to rediscover favorite items or to help clean out those you don’t wear any longer.
- Take a trip where you don’t have anything planned. Just wander around and see what you discover.
- Good hair products go a long way.
- Lift those women up around you who are doing incredible things. You never know when a kind, encouraging comment will keep them going.
- Pay attention to who you are with when you feel your best.
- Pet all the dogs, but just be sure to ask first.
- A good hand cream is a nighttime routine essential.
- Stay hydrated.
- Stop apologizing.
- Don’t listen to people who don’t know you.
Yesterday, I started my 33rd trip around the sun. This year, I am focusing on living in the moment, continuing my journey of self-awareness and being confident in who I am, while working on maintaining boundaries and avoiding imposter syndrome.
Thank you for following along for another year! I am looking forward to all that 2020 and 33 has in store!
What are some birthday reflections you’ve had? Let me know in a comment below!
Photos by Allie
Shop the Post